Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Extravaganza with The Newell's

Boy-oh-boy do we have some pictures to share! Well, they're all from Jennifer's trip to Chicago... but, pictures none the less!

We had a great time catching up with Grams and the Fam in Little Rock for Andrew's graduation from Pulaski Academy. Andrew was awarded the prestigious Christopher Michael Toulson award during the graduation ceremony for his all-around greatness. Seriously- athletics, brains, faith- you name it. He's got it. I'm telling ya, UCA is getting a great kid! We also took a walk across the Big Dam Bridge with Grams and the Fam, and we ate more meat than Jake and I eat in a normal quarter-year. Jake complained of swolen fingers all weekned :-)

Saturday morning Jennifer took an early flight to Chicago, arriving in the windy city at 8:35am. This left her with a WIDE open day of exploring. She's really good at exploring. (OK, I'm tired of writing in third person...) After riding the L-train Orange Line to the hotel, I checked my bags and hit the streets. Note: wear shoes with arch support next time I plan to walk around a city for two days straight.

I noticed that my hotel was a mere block from Millenium Park, but I saved those sights for Sunday. I spent Saturday browsing Michigan Ave, treating myself to a mani/pedi, bought some new shoes, and watched a bronze statue cowboy come to life and scare passers-by.

Then, as luck would have it, I stumbled upon the Chicago Memorial Day Parade! Otherwise known as the "Welcome to Chicago, Jennifer!" parade.



Some of numerous sights to be seen at the parade were Col. Sanders, nuns video-taping the parade, and a Saudi Arabian family enjoying the freedom we were celebrating.







Flora and Chris' wedding was absolutely FABULOUS! She's so creative! Flora's sister Ana did a great job with the coordinating of events and set-up. They thought of every detail! I wish I could have taken better pictures, but here are a couple of shots:

Fourth Presbyterian Church, downtown. Simple decorations of white and pale yellow hydrangas and tulips on candle aisle-markers were all this beautiful cathedral needed!


Mr. and Mrs. Chris Anderson!


People gathered outside the church and blew bubbles as they exited to the trolly, which took everyone to the reception. I overheard some people walking by on the sidewalk and they were convinced that the bride was Penelope Cruz. They were way off... Flora is much more beautiful than Penelope!


Her dress was very unique. You can't see it in this picture, but the dress had a large ruffled colar, almost Elizbethian-esque. Lots of detail in beading and embroidery, with a lace and buttoned back. The best part, she looked exactly like she always looks... just like Florita!


The reception was held at a Flatwater Restaurant, right on the Chicago River. As we waited for the wedding party to arrive after pictures we had a coctail hour on an open-air deck where huge yachts were anchoring. The tablescapes were soft and simple, with candles and fluffy flowers. Sr. Saldivar (Flora's dad) even hired a mariachi band to serenade the bride and groom! The food was excellent, including the coconut-flavored wedding cake! It was a wonderful celebration!! I'm so honored to have been invited to share in their special day!


Since my flight didn't leave until 5:45pm on Sunday, I had yet another day of exploring! I think I probably walked about 5 or 6 miles around the city. I discovered Millenium Park and all of it's reflective goodness.




To cap off the weekend, I took a jaunt down the lake shore to the Field Museum of Natural History. I HEART museums! When else in life can you stand two feet from a zebra or gaze into a mummy's coffin? I tried to avoid the flying animals section of the museum, but accidentally stumbled upon this horrifying exhibit, which solidified my fear and distate for birds:

Jake and I came to conclusion that both of our weekends would have been much better if we were together, though :( I would have loved to see his face when he heard we were WALKING to the Field Museum. While he was soaking in family time, I was soaking in the windy city.

Next item on the agenda: Spring Time Float Trip! It must happen and it must happen soon!

(p.s. If you like our blog, leave comment already!)

6 comments:

Bridgette! :) said...

i love your blog. i'm happy i can leave comments now. :D

sourire said...

Love the pictures! It's neat that your friend got married at Fourth; that's my family's church! I also can't believe you walked all the way to the Field Museum...LOL! Glad you had a good time in Chi-town!

--Kelcie

Eric Dacus said...

Glad to hear you two had a good time in Chicago! Also, keep-a-bloggin' its cool to hear from you.
- Eric

Josh said...

Well, it's the same church I thought it was. http://twitpic.com/11yc9 Your pic didn't have the stained glass at the alter so it looked different to me.

I've been living on the North Side of Chicago since October, going to Grad school at DePaul, where most of my classes are downtown. I got rid of my car, take the L everywhere and am having a rather enjoyable experience.

What hotel did you end up staying at?

Jennifer said...

I stayed at The Silversmith on Madison and Wabash. The L stops, literally, right outside the front door.

ben said...

I can't believe you walked all the way to that museum. Wait, yes I can... I think. Should that be a big deal? Am I they only one who had no idea there was all of this stuff in Chicago? I went there once and didn't see any of this stuff. You are a great explorer Jen. Probably why you accepted Jake's marriage proposal. I don't know what that means. I talk with Hirschy too much...